Saturday, June 23, 2007

Waiting

I was scheduled for a 12-hour night shift tonight at Emanuel hosiptal. I called two hours before the shift to confirm, and it got pushed back from a 7PM start time to an 11PM start time. I tried to get a few more hours of sleep, but I didn't have much luck. I have to call again at 9PM to confirm - I'm kind of hoping the shift gets cancelled because I worked all afternoon for Dr. Slaughter (the psychologist I work for on Saturdays), and I haven't been able to sleep this evening. I have another Emanuel shift scheduled for Sunday night 7PM-7AM, but I would have a chance to sleep after church on Sunday.

In other work news, I really like my new job as a hearing screener. The shifts are short, usually about 8AM-noon, but it depends on how many babies were born the previous day. Last week, the manager let me work in the audiology office after my screening shifts, so I had three full days of work. The babies are so fun! I screen in both the family birth center, which is where my last clinical was, and the NICU. The NICU is so interesting! I'm hoping I'll get my practicum there, but those spots are pretty competitive.

My roommate Genny also has a job now. Even though her right arm is still immobilized, Babies R Us hired her as a registry desk person. She's pretty excited, because she thought no one would hire her because of her shoulder.

3 comments:

Kay Lynn said...

So did you work last night?

Laura said...

Yes, and I emerged from my first ever night shift victorious. I worked on the surgical floor -- it was pretty sweet. I only had 7 patients (CNAs sometimes have up to 35, or more.), and all of them slept all night. Now I get to sleep all day and go back tonight.

Greg said...

Haha. Dr. Slaughter... :)