Friday, February 09, 2007

Graduation

Pretty much every nurse I've ever met has told me I will hate nursing school but love nursing, which definitely true for me. I guess I don't really "hate" nursing school, but it is really intense and I am excited to be finished...which is why I'm toying with the idea of graduating early. If I pass everything this semester and take 18 credits next semester, I could graduate in December, take the NCLEX in the beginning of January and start being a real nurse earning a real paycheck . Or I could take an art class this summer somewhere and take 15 credits next semester. It would save lots of tuition, but would it make me too crazy in the fall? Thoughts, anyone?

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Here is a story from my friend that is a nurse:
"I was at work today doing some stuff to my 4-year-old little buddy, telling him not to worry, i'd be careful. he looks up at me with these big, adorable eyes and says, "i trust you. mommy said you're one of my angels." a moment in life i'll never forget that i have to share. god's timing is amazing. that alone makes all the hard stuff soo worth it. "

Kay Lynn said...

Laura-- My biggest regret from Wheaton is the two semesters when I took 18 and 23 credits. I was working too hard to really enjoy the subjects, and I wish I'd just been content to take business courses and not finish the major. That's from my experience... and it kind of seems like your courses are more critical than mine (environmnetal economics? give me a break).

So my advice is to either take the art class this summer or do two more semesters...

Greg said...

Ya, and two more semesters will give you another guaranteed Christmas at home!!!

Damon said...

Yikes! my 21 unit semester was insane! I was, and am still glad I did it, but it was crazy stressful, I don't remember most of it. It was in my 5th year though and I couldn't afford to keep going to school. Well, there's both sides of it in my experience.

Also, I'm wondering if a slow semester or two might be a welcome opportunity to charge up for what I'm sure is an insane first few years as a nurse.

I'll be praying for you as you make a decision.

Laura said...

Yeah, I know that this might be the last time I get to really relax. Here's the deal: The way Linfield has set up the four-year track is weird. I have to take Nursing 416, 419 (6 credits each) and two other three credit classes before I can graduate. 416 and 419 are 7-week courses, so for the first half of fall semester I will only take one of the required non-nursing classes and add 416 after Thanksgiving. That's not enough credits to make me full time, so I'll have to take something extra. For Spring semester, I'll take 419 for the first seven weeks in addition to my required non-nursing class and a couple extra credits. So basically I'll have seven weeks at the beginning and end of the year that are fairly empty.

Or I can take 419 for the first seven weeks, 416 for the last seven weeks, and the two required classes simultaneously and graduate by Christmas. Does that make sense?

Kay Lynn said...

Ummmm.... sort of. Yes.