Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Fixed finger

Dr. Watkins says as of today my finger is "done". Time and exercise will continue to strengthen and straighten it, but as far as he is concerned it is fixed. He also recommended I not have my wedding ring made huge (still have plenty of swelling) because my finger may take A YEAR to get back to a normal size and I would just have to make it unhuge. Again--I'm sure thankful it wasn't my leg or arm or head!

Yesterday was Laura's first day at St. Vincent's Hospital and today her second. Her shift is noon to 9:30 so I haven't talked to her yet! LAURA--LET US KNOW HOW IT WAS.

jl

5 comments:

Kay Lynn said...

You'd hate to have to make your head unhuge.

Can you get a wedding ring like Aunt Kathy used to wear or something? That must feel really weird.

I'm so glad it's healing the right way!!

mollyb said...

Laura, I'm excited to hear about your first & second days!

Aunt Doris (of Harold & Doris) had a wedding ring that was hinged and it had a hook at the back so you could open and close it to take it off the finger instead of having to slide it over the knuckles. She has a condition where her skin hardens (can't remember what it's called) - but that might be one way to get to keep your ring on ... and take it off easily without irritating the knuckle ...

Laura said...

Scleroderma?

Kay Lynn said...

Don't put a hinge in your wedding ring please!!!!!!

Andrew said...

The first time I read this entry, I thought the Doctor was going to say something about you carrying Wedding Dresses... I thought "Wasn't she carrying the dress and not the ring... when she fell?"

Then I stopped my mind from wandering... and continued reading. Funny how useful that is.