Thursday, May 22, 2008

37 weeks!!

Hey Family!

I officially hit 37 weeks yesterday! This means that I am full term and the baby could come ANY DAY!! We're quaking in our boots just a bit ... and I'm watching for signs, but I'm also telling myself to remember that many of my friends went over their due dates by 10-14 days! I do think that sounds simply miserable, but I am aware that it may happen ... and I am just fine with waiting if it means he'll come on his own!

The best part about this is knowing that when he comes, from this point forward, he'll come right up to my chest and we'll get to hold him right away ... no one will take him away as a premature arrival. We've watched a few birthing videos as part of our classes, and I think that's my favorite part about what we've seen - when the baby comes right out and goes to the momma. I am so excited for that!

People ask if I'm starting to get uncomfortable. The answer is yes (of course!) ... and tired, and my legs are sore ... and I am walking so slowly!

Anyway, the joys outweigh the frustrations. I still get to feel him move, and he's starting to do practice breathing, and still gets the hiccups ... he's our little man, and I am going to welcome every minute that he's inside of me (because I know I'll miss feeling his every move).

Love you all.

13 comments:

Andrew said...

I need to pack my car.

Let me know when your water breaks. I'm there.

Kay Lynn said...

Yes, can you let Baby Rank know that he needs to arrive next weekend, please, when you're in Portland? I'm so excited.

Kay Lynn said...

Wait -- when WE are in Portland.

mollyb said...

I'm trying to tell him that ... and you can start praying for it too! That would be just great. Please pray for June 7. 06/07/08 - what a birthday!

AK-mom said...

I thought the due date was June 11. . . how does that work?

Laura said...

Yay!!! I'm so excited!!

Ric said...

June 6 = best birthday for Kathy's first grandkid.

Andrew said...

Yeah, I don't understand the difference between the "due date" and the "full term" date.

Laura said...

Andy, a baby born between 37 and 42 weeks gestation is considered full term, even though average length of gestation (or "due date") is 40 weeks. Because there is no way to determine the actual day of conception, a due date is only an estimation and may vary quite a bit from actual date of delivery...I think the figure is about 4% of women deliver on their due date.

Kay Lynn said...

Did you copy that from a textbook, Laura? Or was it memorized?

AK-mom said...

Thanks, Laura. Now it all makes sense.

Andrew said...

Wow Laura. Thank you. Now... i need to know when it's coming.

Laura said...

It's good to have a nurse in the family, right?