I'm about to start my second week of practicum in the NICU-- so far, it's absolutely amazing. I started out last week on Level II, which has the lower-acuity babies. Even so, everything was completely overwhelming. I'm pretty comfortable around babies, but these guys are so little and they have all sorts of tubes coming out of them. By my second shift, I was feeling much more confident. I am expected to gradually take on more responsibility until I can take on my nurse's entire patient load. The unit is really, really fantastic. I feel so welcomed, which I've not felt before as a nursing student. In past clinicals, I've felt like a burden to the nurses. Being the only student on the unit is fantastic, because the charge nurse tries to make sure I get to experience anything especially interesting going on. One night, I got to go with her to a NICU-attended birth and watch the resucitation of of a baby. The next night, the nurse practitioner on duty made everyone waffles and lattes. I have two more shifts this week, Tuesday and Wednesday night. Unfortunately, that means I have to try to stay awake all night tonight so I can sleep all day tomorrow. I feel like my sleep-wake cycle will never be the same again.
My friend Meara was visiting from Spokane this weekend. She visits fairly frequently - I think this was her ninth visit to Portland since we started college, so she knows all of my friends here now. We had a great time, of course. Mom, we made those enchiladas you make that are my favorite. I don't think they were as good as when you make them.
Only three and a half weeks until Thanksgiving, and then four weeks until Christmas, and then I leave for China! Damon, how are your family and friends in Escondido? Molly, how are you feeling?
4 comments:
Your sleep/wake cycle sounds completely awful. I am soooo pained to hear about that. Good sleep is the one thing that I know keeps me in a better mood and keeps me healthy. That and carrot sticks. ;-)
So great they are making sure you are having a first rate experience!
DAMON, my friend Travis Bradshaw is in Escondido fighting fires. He's been there for the last 3 days.
Wait, we know Travis - married to Sarah? I get him and Josh mixed up. But they have hung out with the young marrieds' group at FBC. One of the Bradshaws and his wife. :-)
I too have a terrible sleep cycle, Laura. It's more of a dog-nap cycle. That way I get more stuff done.
My morning class got canceled this morning, so I got to catch up a little.
And why is that always the case: reproductions of mom/AK recipes never turn out the same as when they cook it themselves...
I don't know! I tried so hard...
Post a Comment