It looks like the new big thing on the blog is to share our thoughts for the day. I've really enjoyed reading everyones' posts. Molly's comments on the "holiday" cards was especially poignant. With everyone being required (me too as a teacher) to say Happy Holidays....I really wonder how many people actually think about what "holidays" actually means...hmm...almost seems like that ought to be more offensive than Merry Christmas. At least Christmas can be shrouded in Commercialism and be made pretty non holy...but holidays....holy days...hmm that seems like it should be more problematic. Anyway, here are some thoughts for the day:
1. I'm totally stoked that Greg's surgery sounds like it went so well. Heal quick Greg!
2. I'm so excited that Kay Lynn can drive our stick-shift SAAB so well. She drove it to work today and yesterday.
3. Many little tasks to do for our trip to California. I think its kind of fun to get ready for a road trip, to figure out how to make living out of the car more fun. It's even more interesting though to get ready for a road trip in a 20 year old car. (my parents take road trips in their '83 suburban to this day) gotta remember to bring all the fluids, belts and a fuel filter for good measure. Nothing ever breaks or has a problem, it seems, if you are prepared for it to break. The car has had its pre-winter service and check-up at Michael's SAAB service here in the North End. I hope our fellow Swede drivers Molly and Pat are enjoying their Volvo!
4. I think that teachers get the most fun workplace Christmas presents! I mean in what other job do your "customers", or "bosses" or hmm....it's sometimes hard to tell which they are ;-) bring you lots of cool home baked goodies...and it seems, onions too!
5. When teaching, and I think relating to people in general, sometimes its so easy to get in to a rut of just noticing the kids (or adults) who seem unresponsive, negative or are making life difficult. Then strategizing how to handle those situations, get them on track, make friends with them etc. The suddenly out of the blue the little quiet girl in class who does everything right, works hard but never says very much, comes up and gives you hug and says "I'll miss you while school is out for Christmas break!" It's so easy to have to narrow a focus sometimes.
6. I love doing a job (teaching music) that people don't understand. So many people think music is one of those things where you "either have it our you don't". Rubbish! Anymore than in reading comprehension or math "kids either have it or they don't". Sure people have talents, abilities, personality elements that make things harder or easier, but not too long ago music was simply a regular subject like math and reading, part of being social was being musical. Some people are able to take things to a very high level though (I think Greg is one of those people) man I love playing in the worship band when Greg plays drums!
7. I really love our little 24" Christmas tree. It has about 50 little miniature lights on it and it looks so cheery sitting here on the little round coffee table. It even has a miniature tree skirt that Kay Lynn found for it. We put some miniature ornaments on it too...I think jeri Lu gacve them to Kay Lynn. Oh and my wonderful wife also made a terrific star for the top out of foil! I feel Christmas-y just sitting here by it.
8. I'm so happy and content right now. Wonderful wife, great family, great new family to be a part of, really nice place to live and good work to do. And sure it helps that vacation is upon us and we're taking a trip. Thanks to all the terrific Nelbetts for making me feel so welcome in the family!
9. Andy, I can somewhat relate to where your at bro. I felt many of the same ways about my job, significant relationships with the opposite sex for about 18 months before I came to Boise...I felt like God had me in wait mode for a long time...worth it though.
1 comment:
Yeah... you are right. I am fine with waiting. Worked out well for you.
And it's getting easier and easier.
Post a Comment