Thursday, March 23, 2006

Painting

Hi--

I don't know if I've ever posted a truly bloggy entry, so let me tell you all about painting the store! You'll have to stop by Nelson's sometime to see our nice new off-white walls. THEY'RE ALL THE SAME COLOR.... fancy that.... no more ugly mustard and tan with nail holes.

So we all showed up at 6 p.m. Wednesday night with paint, brushes, rollers and spackers: me, Mom, Dad, Vikki, Pauline and Mark Lehrman. Vikki's a funny lady: when my mom asked "where's Ric" and the group answer was "looking for a new roller," Vikki's prompt answer was "I think he's taking a nap."

We painted until 9:15 and showed up in the morning for more. The place was in shambles.... boxes of American flags and bolts of sequins strewn all around the front room floor, Granddad's desk pulled into the middle of the office so nobody could get to their desks without crawling over stuff; random posters from the 1950s laying everywhere. Dad did two interviews today, and during one he wore his paint coveralls! We found out that all these years, Granddad's been using an upside-down, huge metal "GO AIR FORCE" sign as his office "floor." We also found his first gymwear business card with some scandalously dressed ladies (in gymwear) on the front. And my dad is of course saving several odd-shaped, precisely cut boxes.

Pauline Luke is the hardest worker I (honestly) have ever met! We were all standing around eating pizza when people showed up last night, but Pauline wolfed down her slice and grabbed the spackler. She tore at that wall and worked while the rest of us kept eating...today I asked her if she was tired and she of course said no. She shows up at 7:30 and works later than anyone else. Okay, did everyone else (my age plus or minus six years) know that Vikki Spitzler and Stephanie Smith were best friends in high school? That blew my mind... although I should have figured it out....that's a lot of history. I'm realizing that I unconsciously thought that all long-standing relationships at church began when I was born and everyone else was an adult. Yeah....

Better stop before everyone starts laughing! Love you all. Molly and Laura, I think I'm going to get that dress!
KK

3 comments:

Greg said...

Wow--all the same color, eh? I need to go look at them.
I am having trouble posting any entries. So for now I'll have to communicate via comments. I don't know what the deal is--It wont let me put any text in the box. I'll have to try it on a school computer or something.

Andrew said...

I love also that Mary Brown (mouser), Annie Mary (Gale, then Butler), Mike Mouser, Lori Taylor (Rollins, then Puchelle) were all friends. Mike told me a story in which Annie and mary crashed Annie's VW bug and Mike had to visit them in the hospital. So interesting.

mollyb said...

EYAYAYAYA!!! I am totally excited. I love that dress.

Thanks for the update about the store! I love it! Makes me want to come check it out.