Working with the Karen people has let me observe the current activities at the Hub the last several weeks. I have been dropping off some of them for the Tuesday night sessions, and Sunday night had the chance to attend what was billed as the "Parent Party" with parents from 3 Karen families.
I want you all to know that I am SO IMPRESSED with the current youth program. Matt and Andrea seem to be able to draw workers to them, to motivate adults to get involved. It looks good from my vantage point. Lots of kids.
Tonight I drove out to BK to watch the women's BB game, then back to the HUB to pick up Julie Anna. April kept the girls 45 minutes late (which is pretty good on her part to keep the girls interested and occupied that long). She and Jeremy have kids similar ages to the youth pastor's kids. The two families are good friends.
Tyler Edwards, Jeremy Arbon and Ryan Fisher were talking together for most of the time I waited. The boys group had already finished. I visited a bit with Justin - - some friend of yours, Greg. I met him at your house, I think. He plays the guitar or bass for the band, said he got laid off at Bronco Motors recently. He is not working, but looking hard because he is engaged. His fiancée is working at Texas Roadhouse.
I told Tori that we ate there once and I'll probably not go back. She is about a size 0 and said she loves to eat there. I can imagine her eating about 3 bites of a steak and being full.
They were all excited about the opening this weekend of Buffalo Wings, a restaurant some of them know from the Midwest. They had all heard that the first 100 people in line Thursday or Friday - the first day open - will get "free wings for a year". They all think they are going to be first in line. It is near Eagle Road and the freeway. Have you heard of that restaurant?
Brittany that lived for a while with the Youngs is living in an apartment near BSU. When she said she wanted to major in social work and work with immigrants I mentioned that Lanie is looking for people to help with the Karen children during the 3rd hour on Sundays. She said she would like to but can't come regularly because she doesn't have a car. So, guess what, Tom? I volunteered to pick her up. I think we can manage, n'est-ce pas?
Tori also is going to help with the refugee children during that hour. This is great!
As we were leaving (Matt finally went into April's class to break it up), Matt was setting up with Ryan and Tyler Edwards to divide up sort of teaching duties for sometime in the future. I didn't pay that much attention. It is great to see Tyler involved.
In the car Julie Anna said that they were talking about the LaunchPad program for next fall. They are going to have a noon hour Bible class available for Boise High kids next fall. The class will appear in the list of classes and kids will register for the class when they choose all their classes with their counselors. It will be at Time Zone, with Ramen noodles available for them to make if they want.
Enough. More than you want to read in one sitting. Just wanted to remind you that things are happening behind Fancy Freeze.
2 comments:
Great update mom. I always appreciate the news from FBC.
Youth Group used to be such a big deal to me. I'm glad to see someone is carrying the legacy left by Bill, Kevin, Dave, Jim Atkins... and I trail off after that.
Is HUB an acronym for anything?
Post a Comment