Greetings from Beijing! After an uneventful flight, I arrived in China yesterday afternoon. It's funny, I don't feel jet lagged at all. I think all of that sleep deprivation this semester has prepared me well. It's very bizarre - I've never been anywhere where I am so unable to communicate. I know only about three Chinese phrases - "thank you", "very good", and "don't want". It's freezing cold, but no snow...yet. This morning, we went to the Temple of Heaven. It was so fabulous -- the older Chinese people gather for morning exercises in the park surrounding the temple. There were at least 50 or 60 of them in one corner learning to tango, and another group with ribbon dancer things, and another group doing this dance routine with tennis rackets. Hilarious. And the temple was cool, too.
Tomorrow it a big day -- we're getting up really early to watch morning Tai Chi, and then for a rickshaw ride in Old Beijing. We're eating lunch with a family there, and then to visit Beijing Hospital in the afternoon. We're in the city until Sunday, which is great because there is so much to see here. Sunday, we fly to Xi'an, where the terra cotta soldiers are.
For some reason, I can't view the blog on this computer. All I get is an error message, in Chinese of course. So I hope you all are doing well. Love you all!!
5 comments:
It is awesome to hear from you! How are your new boots and coat working out? :-)
Sounds like fun! Stay warm. As to the error, maybe the Chinese government is blocking our insidious propaganda ;-)
I would be flattered if we were considered insidious propaganda.
We're praying for you. I did Thailand with a huge wound on the bottom of my foot. I understand the frustrations of traveling with a weakness. Especially in your foot.
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to blog to us.
One time in France I sat down to do the internet in the hotel lobby and the person in front of me had changed the configuration of the keyboard from the Roman alphabet to either Japanese or Chinese. Everything I typed appeared on the screen in another alphabet. I had to get the receptionist in the hotel to change it back.
Are the letters on the keyboard in Chinese?
There is a group here that does Tai Chi in the afternoons after school. I haven't decided I have the time to do it, but know I really should.
Enjoy yourself. I am glad you are feeling so good.
Love from HOME
wow,wow,wow
we're praying for you.
DAD
Post a Comment